Table of Contents
＋ Add to Library
- Whenever the train stops, I jump off, run to her carriage, and with drawn cap
- await her orders. She wants coffee and then a glass of water, at another time
- a bowl of warm water to wash her hands, and thus it goes on. She lets several
- men who have entered her compartment pay court to her. I am dying of jealousy
- and have to leap about like an antelope so as to secure what she wants quickly
- and not miss the train.
- In this way the night passes. I haven't had time to eat a mouthful and I can't
- sleep, I have to breathe the same oniony air with Polish peasants, Jewish
- peddlers, and common soldiers.
- When I mount the steps of her coupe, she is lying stretched out on cushions in
- her comfortable furs, covered up with the skins of animals. She is like an
- oriental despot, and the men sit like Indian deities, straight upright against
- the walls and scarcely dare to breathe.