Table of Contents
＋ Add to Library
- When I said good-night to her to-day she seemed suddenly unaccountably
- distracted and moody. What was occupying her?
- "I am sorry you are going," she said when I was already standing on the
- "It is entirely in your hands to shorten the hard period of my trial, to cease
- tormenting me—" I pleaded.
- "Do you imagine that this compulsion isn't a torment for me, too," Wanda
- "Then end it," I exclaimed, embracing her, "be my wife."
- "Never, Severin," she said gently, but with great firmness.
- "What do you mean?"
- I was frightened in my innermost soul.
- "You are not the man for me."
- I looked at her, and slowly withdrew my arm which was still about her waist;
- then I left the room, and she—she did not call me back.