Table of Contents
＋ Add to Library
- For almost a fortnight this unbearable restraint has lain upon us. Her friend
- lives with her, and we are never alone. A circle of men surrounds the young
- women. With my seriousness and melancholy I am playing an absurd role as
- lover. Wanda treats me like a stranger.
- To-day, while out walking, she staid behind with me. I saw that this was done
- intentionally, and I rejoiced. But what did she tell me?
- "My friend doesn't understand how I can love you. She doesn't think you either
- handsome or particularly attractive otherwise. She is telling me from morning
- till night about the glamour of the frivolous life in the capital, hinting at
- the advantages to which I could lay claim, the large parties which I would
- find there, and the distinguished and handsome admirers which I would attract.
- But of what use is all this, since it happens that I love you."
- For a moment I lost my breath, then I said: "I have no wish to stand in the
- way of your happiness, Wanda. Do not consider me." Then I raised my hat, and
- let her go ahead. She looked at me surprised, but did not answer a syllable.
- When by chance I happened to be close to her on the way back, she secretly
- pressed my hand. Her glance was so radiant, so full of promised happiness,
- that in a moment all the torments of these days were forgotten and all their
- wounds healed.
- I now am aware again of how much I love her.