Table of Contents
＋ Add to Library
The Harlot of the World
- O Life, thou harlot who beguilest all!
- Beautiful in thy house, the gorgeous world,
- Abidest thou, where Powers pinion-furled
- And flying Splendours follow to thy call.
- Innumerous like the stars or like the dust,
- Nations and monarchs were thy thralls of yore:
- Unto the grave's old womb forevermore
- Hast thou betrayed the passion and the lust.
- Fair as the moon of summer is thy face,
- And mystical with cloudiness of hair…
- Only an eye, subornless by delight,
- Shall find within thy phosphorescent gaze
- Those caverns of corruption and despair,
- Where the Worm toileth in the charnel night.